Friday, May 10, 2013

Eclipse Select's Rachel Gerhardt to play for hometown Valpo this fall

CHICAGO (May 10, 2013) – Eclipse Select Soccer Club goalkeeper Rachel Gerhardt (Valparaiso, Ind.) has reaped the benefits of her hard work both on and off the field, and at just 17 years old she will take her game to the college level with Valparaiso starting this fall.

After three full school years, the Eclipse Select U-18 NWI net minder will graduate from Boone Grove High School and compete for the Crusaders in the Horizon League.

“My mom and brother have both experienced VU, so it was always on my mind as a career choice, but I never thought I would do it,” Gerhardt said. “Then last year they held a private VIP camp and they wanted to have me attend. I was ecstatic. I can’t even begin to tell you how excited I am. Everything that I’m doing to get ready, the conditioning work – it’s awesome.”

Gerhardt had mostly been targeted by Division II and Division III programs throughout the country, but the stars aligned for the Valparaiso, Ind., native to compete for a Division I institution in her hometown. She joins a Valpo program led by head coach John Marovich.

“Coach Marovich is such a great guy,” Gerhardt said. “He gets down to business. He’s not one to joke around – when it’s time, it’s time. He wants to get the job done and get your full potential. So you have to be in tip-top shape. He’s not going to tolerate anything less and will push you to the extreme.”

No comments:

Post a Comment