Saturday, May 4, 2013

Eclipse Select's McGinnis fights back from injury, commits to UW for 2014

CHICAGO (May 4, 2013) – Eclipse Select Soccer Club forward Sydney McGinnis was recognized by Wisconsin women’s soccer coach Paula Wilkins when she was 9 years old.

The combination of that familiarity and McGinnis’ drive to return from a year and a half injury are just two reasons why the Park Ridge native and Maine South junior stayed on the radar will be playing for the Badgers starting in the fall of 2014.

Sydney McGinnis / Eclipse Select
“Originally I had not thought about Wisconsin, but I fell in love with that school and had been through the ODP program where Paula was one of the coaches,” McGinnis said. “She has recognized me since I was 9 years old. So when I tore my ACL, she had no worries about it.”

McGinnis’ ACL injury was 17 months ago, and this weekend marks her return to the pitch. Eclipse Select’s U-17 Elite Clubs National League team has an inner-club scrimmage this Sunday.

“When you’re 9 and still developing, you never think that this would do anything for you or you’d get the recognition,” McGinnis said. “You don’t think that your ODP coach would be your future college coach. That has definitely helped that she remembered me and has helped in my recovery process, the fact that she wants me to get better and has strong hopes for me.”

For the latest Eclipse Select news, visit EclipseSelect.org.

No comments:

Post a Comment