Thursday, March 3, 2011

Segares adjusts to midfield role in Fire's new 3-5-2 scheme

Fire's Gonzalo Segares -- ISI Photos
Starting lineups, positional changes and formations sometimes need to be taken with a grain of salt during the preseason. But the Chicago Fire certainly appear to be set on their ways with a new 3-5-2 formation heading into their 2011 campaign.

The three-man defensive back line is a dramatic variation for many of the players on Chicago's roster. The person most affected by the new scheme is typical left back Gonzalo Segares, who adjusts to a midfield role this year.

For the moment, it appears that the Fire's starting back line will consist of Cory Gibbs, Josip Mikulic and rookie Jalil Anibaba from left to right. Segares is now pushed up to the left side of the midfield alongside Marco Pappa.

"I'm starting to like it a little better. I'm getting used to it," Segares said of the position switch. "I'm not used to receiving the ball with somebody on my back, so there are different things to get used to in this position. There's a lot more running, and I'll be one of the fittest guys on the field when we're done with preseason. I like the challenge. I like to push forward and help the team that way, and I can still help Cory on that left side."

Read more at ESPNChicago.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment