Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Segares eases into return, Fire host Revs

BRIDGEVIEW, Ill. -- The Chicago Fire's designated player signings of Nery Castillo and Freddie Ljungberg craved so much attention. But Fire defender and Costa Rica native Gonzalo Segares will prove to be an equally important addition for Chicago in this second half of the MLS season.

Segares, who had been playing for Greek Cypriot club Apollon Limassol, also should be the smoothest transition among Chicago's recent signings.

The Fire host the New England Revolution on Wednesday at Toyota Park, and Segares returns less than a year removed from his previous MLS season.

"I always thought about coming back to MLS, especially coming back here to Chicago," Segares said. "I always wanted that. It was quicker than expected, but I'm glad to be back."

Segares likely will return to his customary left defensive back slot that Fire fans are used to watching. But if Fire head coach Carlos de los Cobos wants to tinker with a few things, Segares is willing to move toward the center, too.

"If he wants me to play center back or left back, I've really got no problem with that. I'm used to both positions," Segares said. "On the [Costa Rica] national team I used to play as a center back, and here I'm more as a left back. I don't think I'd have trouble getting used to that. It's just one or two days in the position and I'll be fine."

For more, visit ESPNChicago.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment