Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Bone makes most of first Fire start

BRIDGEVIEW, Ill. -- The Chicago Fire's 2010 first-round draft pick, midfielder Corben Bone, finally was able to put in some worthwhile game-time minutes during Saturday's consolation match against Legia Warsaw in the Sister Cities International Cup.

Bone got the start and played until the 57th minute during the Fire's 3-0 loss to Legia.

"I think I did some pretty good things," Bone said following Tuesday's training session. "So hopefully I did myself some favors, and I'll be able to get into some MLS action soon enough. It was my first game, and I felt good about myself in my first start, against a European club that some might say was a little bit stronger than an MLS team."

While the Fire were kept off the scoreboard, Bone did showcase in his playing time that he has some valuable intangibles.

Bone appears to cover a lot of ground and move well north-south and east-west on the pitch. He has energy and is an attacking-minded guy, which down the line could be good traits that match Fire head coach Carlos de los Cobos' approach. And it looks like he is a versatile option when called upon.

"I try to get the ball as much as I can, make runs behind, make runs to get the ball, stuff like that," Bone said. "The position that I played [Saturday], I was in between the defense and the midfield, so I just tried to create problems, make the team work to defend me, and find my teammates."

"Corben is a player with a very good future," De los Cobos said. "It's necessary to try to give him opportunities to play. He has special characteristics -- management of the ball, and he's dynamic."

Read more at ESPNChicago.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment